Wednesday, September 12, 2007

How much should a free education cost?

2 kids + 2 weeks of school = $100's

What's wrong with this picture? This is public education! Don't we have a legal right to a free primary education in a public school system? I've talked with family and friends in Columbus and other large and small cities in and out of Ohio and they don't pay class fees, what's that for anyway? I've asked every year I've paid them and they say "for books and stuff", or something to that effect. Well, why haven't I seen any of these books and stuff that I continue to pay for come home with my kids at the end of the year? Who's using them the next year? Do they get thrown away, go to kids who's parents can't afford to pay the fees (yet try getting out of them!), get sent to other school districts so they don't have to charge fees? And that's just the beginning, here's a breakdown of what we've had to pay in the first two weeks of school for two children:

Class fees = $75
Camp fees & supplies = $98
School pictures = $35 (and they do this twice a year now! The pictures aren't even as good as the ones I take with my digital camera!)
School lunches = $??? (way too expensive just to make our kids fat and then complain about childhood obesity - we pack healthy, less expensive food)
Supplies = $146 (and you can't tell me the kids are using the six packs of post it notes I sent in, and all those pencils?? and why the hell can't we buy a pack of dry erase markers for the teachers to use that we can afford? why do they HAVE to be Expo wide tip primary color blah blah blah kind?)
Fund raiser = $52 (I know, we don't have to buy this stuff, but just try telling your kid he's going to be the only one in class not receiving a cheap prize when the stuff comes in, that's like telling him he's grown out of happy meals! Yeah, at some point it has to be done, but.... )
Fees for parties and field trips = $6 (so far)
First of many Market Days = $??? (I don't buy it, but if you do, add it in)
Total, so far = $412+++

Now add in the additional property taxes we pay each and every time a school levy passes, and they almost always do, so that our oh-so-broke school system can build million dollar football fields and two or three new schools each year. Yes, Marysville is growing, but consider this before you elect to raise your own property taxes for the new students moving in, each of those households are paying their own taxes for their children, so new growth also means new money for the schools. Do they really continuously need more of ours?

Now I know that some of this stuff is necessary and I don't mind paying for these things, or even for things like camp, which is not necessary but educational in so many ways. But seriously, when does it end? I know, I know, when they grow up and move out (or does it?). And why do they send home fundraisers the very first week of school?? Give us a break already! Some of us can't afford it all at once! (or at least aren't willing to!)

Wow, that's the first time I've added it all up, and all this after spending my right arm and husband's left leg on school clothes for two! Well, schools, we're officially broken, thanks for the free education!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tend to agree with you on most of your points. I am now in a frustrating situation---my child is in a class of 29 kids @ the new elem school. The reasoning provided was "the levy didn't pass"--there isn't enough $$ for a third teacher. UGH!!! So, I'll keep voting for the levy's I guess!?

Anonymous said...

Where in the Constitution does it guarantee an education- let alone a free education? Just something to think about. Our founding fathers were better educated in their day when there was no such thing as "Compulsory Attendance". That is correct Ohio has a "Compulsory Attendance" law not a "Compulsory Education". That is why when sued by dis-enfranchised parents for little Johnnie's inability to read or do simple math the schools are not held accountable. I am tired, frankly, of having money exhtorted by those who thing they have right to reach into our not deep pockets to continue to prop up a failing educational system.

Anonymous said...

It does not say it in the constitution but it is federal law that you are entitled to a free education. Unfortunately, school funding in Ohio is so messed up that it is not free.